Effective cross-cultural communication and management with Indian companies reduced internal stress
One of Northern Europe’s largest manufacturers included multiple business units with a market presence in India. Several of these were collaborating with Indian design and manufacturing companies to supply their European and American customers. However, the relationship between the Indian machine shops and foundries required far more guidance from the client than the client thought was necessary. The Vice Chairman of the client approached Amritt to address this issue at a senior management level within the company.
Amritt conducted an executive workshop for the Vice Chairman and his direct reports on effective communication and management of Indian manufacturers and engineers. This helped the client understand how to get the Indian suppliers to become more transparent with issues and concerns.
Simultaneously, Amritt also worked closely with a few key suppliers with whom the client had been experiencing the most difficulties. Through this process, we determined that
- One of the suppliers did not have the capacity to meet the client’s standards and was therefore replaced by another Indian company.
- Another supplier, although it had produced good results, had been given work that was not suitable for it.
Based on Amritt advice, the client retracted about 15% of the work back to Europe, leaving the 85% that had yielded productive results with the supplier.
Following the success it had with the Amritt engagement, the client trained its internal staff on taking similar steps across the company when dealing with its Indian supply chain.